The Association’s policies will comply with the requirements of the current Australian Privacy Principles.
1. Personal information collected by the Association must be for a necessary and lawful purpose connected with the Association’s activities.
2. Personal information must be collected directly from the individual concerned unless there are reasonable grounds for collecting that information from another source.
3. Personal information is to be collected only with the knowledge and informed consent of the individual concerned, unless there are reasonable grounds for not doing so.
4. Personal information will not be collected by the Association by means which are unlawful, unfair, or an unreasonable intrusion upon that individual’s personal affairs.
5. Personal information will be protected against loss, unauthorised access, use or disclosure, or other misuse.
6. Individuals are entitled to know that their personal information is held by the Association, and that they will be given access to that information, unless there are justifiable reasons for refusing access. Individuals are entitled to request that corrections be made or attached to their records.
7. The Association will ensure that information is accurate, up to date, complete to the best of the Association’s knowledge, and not misleading.
8. Personal information will not be kept for longer than necessary.
9. Personal information gained will not be used for any purpose other than that for which it was obtained.
10. The Association will not disclose personal information to anyone other than the individual concerned unless:
a. disclosure is for a purpose for which the information is obtained, or
b. the source of information is publicly available, or
c. disclosure is authorised by the individual concerned, or
d. disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the health and safety of either the public or the individual.
e. ordered by a court
11. If disclosure is permitted then the identity of the individual will not be disclosed unless this is part of the purpose for which the information was collected.