The Motor Neurone Disease Association of Tasmania was founded in 1986, to assist people living with Motor Neurone Disease (MND) and their carers by providing useful and informative information, assisting with equipment needs, raising the profile of MND in the community and raising funds for research into MND. Our Objectives are to:
- provide the best possible assistance and information for people living with motor neurone disease, those whose diagnosis is not confirmed, and those who care for them;
- gather and share advice on coping with Motor Neurone Disease;
- create and nurture a caring link between people living with Motor Neurone Disease, by providing opportunities for interaction;
- raise awareness of Motor Neurone Disease and to maximise public contribution for care and research;
- foster and maintain links with Motor Neurone Disease Associations in other States, the National Association and other healthcare organisations and self-care groups; and
- encourage and support relevant research initiatives and to disseminate knowledge of research progress.
The Association works closely with a range of health and medical professionals, including GPs, neurologists, palliative care specialists, palliative care nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and speech pathologists, to seek to equitably optimise the quality of life for motor neurone disease patients and their carers.
The Motor Neurone Disease Association of Tasmania was formed in 1986 by a small group of volunteers interested in helping people with motor neurone disease and their families. A few key individuals realised that the services for motor neurone disease patients and carers were not what they should be. This realisation was due to a number of factors, including the often slow response of a bureaucratic health system to the often complex and changing needs of many motor neurone disease patients. A series of meetings were held with the wonderful assistance of various LIONS Clubs, and steadily a pool of equipment was gathered and lent, depending on priority and availability, and the assistance of various health professionals.
The Association is a member of the MND Australia the peak motor neurone disease care body in Australia and the Motor Neurone Disease Institute of Australia (MNDRIA). Motor Neurone Disease Tasmania is also a member of the Neuro Muscular Alliance of Tasmania (NMAT).
There are no paid staff however our President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Public Officer and ordinary members of the board, are elected each year at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in March. All members are welcome to attend and nominate people for board positions.
You can view a copy of MND Tasmania's strategic plan for 2018 to 2020 by downloading it as a PDF here.
Donload Strategic Plan